~ ~ where some see a hopeless end, others see an endless hope ~ ~


Thursday, January 26, 2012

You Could Have Series #3: DriveUpper's

Just so we’re clear.  This happened a week ago.  And I’m still smiling because of it…

That’s how powerful this is.

You Could Have Series #3: DriveUpper’s

We are studying a workbook at the office, teaching us to become better followers of Christ.  A simple commandment to serve humbly, live intentionally, and do it all while in the shadows…  <-- As in.  Don’t expect recognition.  Don’t serve for your own glory.  Don’t expect anything in return.

I experienced this first hand.

I was driving through Starbucks, treating myself to a skinny vanilla latte, (extra extra hot and no foam--ya know, so you get the vivid description).  And for those of you who know the Starbucks world… that’s almost an entire day’s pay--so I, OF COURSE, was only getting one because I had a gift card.

when much to my dismay, I had just switched bags that day and didn’t have the card with me.

*GASP*

Bummed and bitter about my forgetfulness, I continued to pull forward to pay for my coffee-made-of-gold treat.  As I dug through my wallet to scrape up the change, the lady in the window casually says, “That’s all covered for you ma’am.  You don’t owe anything.”

Blank Stare.

Crickets.

“I’m sorry?”

“The car in front of you took care of your coffee for you today, it’s all taken care of.  You have a great day, ok?”

It took everything in me not to JUMP out of my car, leap through the window, and hug her face.  Composing myself, I, instead, did the only other thing that came to mind and that was cover the man’s beverage for him, behind me.

THIS IS WHAT I’M TALKING ABOUT PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!

I don’t know who the girl was in front of me.

I don’t know her story.

I don’t know where she works, what her favorite color is, what her parents are like, if she has kids, a dog, or a boat.

All I DO know is how I felt, when she did what she didn’t have to do, and to hear those words, “It’s all taken care of.”

Could you IMAGINE the effect on this planet if every time some ONE does ONE thing for another, that ONE person would PAY IT FORWARD and do ONE more?

There’s 7 billion people on this planet.  You do the math.

It’s this kind of stuff that makes my heart leap.  It’s these little acts of kindness that keep the smile on my face, the hope in my eyes, and the joy and excitement to continue another day.

Wow.

To whoever was in that Red little car, whose window wouldn’t roll down so you had to open your door, whose hair was brown, and whose smile was bright….   Thank You.

You Could Have kept driving on.

But you didn’t.

You made my day.


and because she made mine, I want to inspire and encourage you to do the same for ONE person in your life today.  You may know them.  You may not.  The Challenge is on, people.  Here are some ways to get you started:

1. Say "Good morning" to a person standing next to you in the elevator.

2. Pay the toll for the driver behind you.

3. Take a minute to direct someone who is lost, even though you're rushing.

4. Write a letter to a child who could use some extra attention. Kids love getting mail.

5. Offer to pick up groceries for an elderly neighbor, especially in extreme weather. 

6. Give a homeless person your doggie bag.

7. Say "I love you" to someone you love.

8. Put a coin in an expired meter.

9. Help a mother carry her baby stroller up the subway stairs, or hold a door open for her. 

10. Each time you get a new item of clothing, give away something old.

11. Take someone's shift as the car-pool parent.

12. Bring your assistant coffee.

13. Out of the blue, send flowers to a friend.

14. Say "please" and "thank you"—and really mean it.

15. When you're on a crowded train or bus, offer your seat to an elderly, disabled or pregnant person.


1 comment:

  1. Beware of practicing your piety before others in order to be seen by them, for then you have no rewarrd from your Father in heaven.
    And whenever you pray, do not be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, so that they may be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they receive their reward. But whenever you go into your room and shut the door and pray, your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you.
    Matthew 6 1-4

    Coincedence that this is the prayer we prayed last night after Bradley and Payton's religion? I think not! He also brought home a very great activity for Valentines day that mimics what you have described!

    ReplyDelete