~ ~ where some see a hopeless end, others see an endless hope ~ ~


Friday, August 31, 2012

Almost There


I made a conscious decision to run a marathon.  I am in full mental stability, so there’s no excuse.  And in doing so, I decided:

I’m running this marathon to be uncomfortable.
I’m running this marathon for others to learn about the Orphan crisis.
I’m running this marathon to share their story.


Each day is a new day.  Each day a different challenge.  Today, fighting off the effects of Hurricane Isaac’s humidity, I literally felt like I was swimming my short 4 miler today.  Tomorrow?  I take on the massive 18 miler.

And not to sound ‘un-encouraging,’ I don’t care what anyone says.  Waking up at 5am and running ANY mileage does NOT get any easier.

But.

I’ve definitely become immune to it.

Now, it’s just my routine. That’s what I do.  It’s who I am right now.  It is my lifestyle.

And tomorrow? I’ll wake up and do it again.

And for the next 5 weeks, I know that the road is only going to get longer and tougher, but I have this overwhelming sense of peace that I can face it.  That I can take it on.

I listen to my body now and what it needs.  When it feels like its hurting, it probably is.  When it feels like its hungry, it probably is.  When it feels thirsty, yeah… I’m probably thirsty.

You see… I decided to run this race because I “needed” something more.  And it’s given me just that.

I decided to dedicate this run to the hundreds of faces I’ve met.  The hundreds of hugs I’ve given.  The kisses I’ve received and the smiles that melted my heart.  I dedicated this race for THEM and in doing so… I’ve gotten so much more.

I’m able to share their stories.  Running alongside my training partners, I get to tell their dreams.  And like my early morning training runs that don’t seem to get any easier, these orphans live a life full of despair and desperation~that doesn’t seem to get any easier for them.

But they wake up each day, with a bright new attitude that they can face it.  That they can take it on.

Because, they too have found their source when they’re in pain.  Their source when they’re hungry.  Their source when they’re thirsty:


I’m not running this marathon to compare my hardships to theirs.  I live a very amazing and blessed, comfortable and satisfying life.

I’m running this marathon to be uncomfortable.
I’m running this marathon for others to learn about the Orphan crisis.
I’m running this marathon to share their story.

And I still need your help to do so.

If you feel like you’ve been touched, in any way, by the power of what Visiting Orphans does around the world, I would love for your donations for this cause.

I can’t run this race alone.

I don’t have far to go, and I’m asking for your help in getting me to the finish line…

FOLLOW THIS LINK TO DONATE TODAY:  https://www.visitingorphans.org/cgi-bin/donate.cgi
Fund Category:  CHICAGO MARATHON
Team Member:  AMANDA HERDINA

And… Thank you.

For Jovia.  For Norine.  For Lillian, Amanda, Benita, Grace, Baby Valentine, Nancy, Angel, Denize, Noella and everyone that’s touched my heart.  Thank you,

No comments:

Post a Comment