~ ~ where some see a hopeless end, others see an endless hope ~ ~


Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Go ahead, Eat your cake too.

I love reading my blog from my birthday last year.  And just where I was mentally, emotionally, spiritually…. and where I am today.  People asked me (really, they did ! ), “Soooo, you feel any older?”

And realizing they truly meant it in a sincere fashion, I reply.  “Actually.  No !   I feel like I’m getting younger !   It’s like I’m going backwards…”

And it’s the truth.

Each year I look back at my life bucket list and ponder over it.  The things I put on this list like 12 years ago seemed so far-fetched.  Almost like I dreamed it, but couldn’t believe it… Never reaaaaaally thought I’d ever do any of it.  As the years have gone by, and in my 'aging maturity’ (insert wink and belly laugh), my attitude has completely changed:
  
~Why NOT accomplish all that you’ve set out to do?  
~Why NOT dream big…and then actually go after your dreams?
~Why see it, if you don’t want to achieve it?

Basically, what I’m trying to get at is:

Why have your cake… if you can’t eat it too.

And now… my dreams have never seemed so reachable.  Sure, I’ve let go of some things that don’t seem worthwhile anymore and gained other things I’d rather do more.  And it seems like with each year that goes by, the more realistic I feel about each dream.  Because if there’s one thing I’ve learned in my life…. the Lord really DOES give you the desires of your heart, so just be careful what you wish for if you’re at all scared of them coming true…...


CHAMPAGNE WISHES AND NOT-SO-CAVIAR DREAMS

1.  Swim with the Dolphins (and not at Sea World)
2.  See Garth Brooks & Martina McBride in concert (and doesn’t even have to be together)
3.  Move to California
4.  Camp in the mountains
5.  Hot Air Balloon in Italy
6.  Horseback ride at Sunset
7.  Run a marathon
8.  Take a roadtrip in a Vintage Chevy Bel Air Convertible
9.  Find my cause & Get my own 501c3
10.  Go to Africa
11.  Meet June Carter & Johnny Cash
12.  Have a forever Valentine
13.  Ride a train through the Alps
14.  White Water Raft
15.  Learn Guitar
16.  Hike to the highest point of a mountain
17.  50 yard line, 3 rows up at a Patriot’s Game
18.  Write & publish a vintage coffee table photo book
19.  Hear a true life story from a Native American legend
20.  See a sunrise over the ocean
21.  Ride a helicopter
22.  Read the Bible beginning to end
23.  Sky Dive
24.  Be in a Musical (and no, High School does not count)
25.  Get a tattoo


And so there ya have it.  We’ll see what changes in this year to come… It’s always interesting, always an adventure.

I’d like to leave ya’ll with a few ‘aging’ quotes that helped make this year more bearable… ;)

Good things happen to those that wait.

Things get better with age.

Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young. The greatest thing in life is to keep your mind young.

As I grow older, I pay less attention to what men say. I just watch what they do.

Age does not diminish the extreme disappointment of having a scoop of ice cream fall from the cone.


and two of my all time faves from some peeps near and dear to my heart… my Gramaw Betty and Grampawpaw Chuck:

“What?  These wrinkles?  I like to think of these wrinkles as laugh lines.  It means you were very happy in your life, my dear.  Laugh lines.  Not wrinkles.”  ~Grandma

"We hope you are having a great adventure today and all week.  As you know you are not getting any younger, so celebrate while you can!”  ~Grandpa

1 comment:

  1. Your #1 and my #1 are the same. We were destined to be friends.

    ReplyDelete