~ ~ where some see a hopeless end, others see an endless hope ~ ~


Thursday, September 01, 2011

wait. You upgraded me… for FREE?

I’ve just been sitting on this thought for awhile today and needed to let it out.  I think about just how easy it is for us as Americans to yell out and complain about everything that’s wrong with our country.  How naturally it comes to us to talk disgraces about people when they’re not around.   Just how far we go to let the world know that We’ve Been WRONGED.

*GASP*
We yell at the driver that cut us off on the freeway.
We curse the customer service agent that doesn’t waive our late fees for the bill we didn’t pay on time.
We feel entitled to a free upgrade to first class because we’ve flown an airline once.
We write anonymous letters to restaurants complaining about the service we DIDN’T receive at their establishment.
And then we don’t tip 20% when our food doesn’t taste good to us, as if it was the server’s fault we didn’t like it.
We don’t wait in lines.
We don’t compliment strangers.
We don’t do anything outside our comfort zones to bless one another.

….but what if we DID?

It seems so EASY for us to go out of our way to complain about a matter that goes wrong, but what about when something goes right?

As I was sitting at a table today for lunch waiting for my order (that was already 10 minutes late from when they said it’d be ready)… I started noticing things.

Within the 2 minutes I walked through the door, I was greeted twice by the employees. I was asked how I was.  A lady complimented my shirt.  A gentleman complimented my nail polish (HeY! It’s a really cool aqua-blue, you’d compliment it too!)  And because my food took a little longer than expected, the Server made my smoothie the LARGE size, instead of the small--at no additional cost.  He proceeded to punch my smoothie card not once, not twice, but three times as a way to make up for my precious precious 10 minutes I had lost in his establishment waiting….

No, it wasn’t a lot.  It wasn’t a new car or a million dollars or a promotion, trip, or waived late fee.  But had it not been for those 10 minutes I ‘lost’, I wouldn’t have been blessed with those kind words from strangers.  I wouldn’t have sat and thought about all the times I’ve been the impatient one.  I’ve been the one grumbling about everything and writing those Letters of Complaint.  That I never go out of my way to make someone’s day.

And I wouldn’t have noticed how good it made me feel for that brief moment that they made mine.


Well… this time?  I’m going OUT OF MY WAY to commend a JOB WELL DONE to our local Mediterranean establishment, Blu Fig.  They are above and beyond what you’d expect from customer service these days and I applaud them.  If you’re ever in the Nolensville area--be sure to stop in.  Great food. Amazing service.  Great staff.

In fact, I’m going to even do myself one more and Yelp a GOOD comment today….

*GASP*

How far have YOU gone to make someone’s day?

No comments:

Post a Comment